Monday, February 16, 2015

Personal Information Inquiry Entry 8

Step 5: Blog Experience Reflection

I consider using a blog similar to how I normally work through a project. I am a note writer and list maker. I still do things "old school" by using notebook paper and pen because I can move the notes around and add to different sections with ease. The benefit of a blog is that it is much easier to edit posts and add visual tools, such as graphs and tables. 

For some students, using a blog or journal would be useful. I think it really depends on the students' learning styles and preferences. For visual and intrapersonal learners, a blog or journal is an excellent tool. They can see their work and conduct it independently. A mathematical/logical learner may also benefit from writing the journal, but I can also see that a journal could frustrate this type of learner because the notes are not really recorded in a logical manner, just a chronological one. This is why I feel challenged when using a journal. It is fine for personal use, but when I am trying to put together ideas in a logical progression, I find myself going back and forth between entries a lot. 

Musical, kinesthetic and natural learners may not see any benefit in using a blog or journal, but as pointed out in the "Learning Styles Activity" people fit more than one category, and, therefore, depending on their preferences, may enjoy it. 

If comments are allowed, an interpersonal learner would most likely enjoy the blog method. The downside would be if there is a delay in feedback and comments. The interpersonal learner prefers interaction. This is one of my learning styles and one of the reasons that I sometimes find taking asynchronous online courses challenging. Rarely is there immediate feedback. It could be days before a comment is made. 


References


Jukes, I., Dosaj, A. & MacDonald, B. (2000). NetSavvy: Building Information Literacy in the Classroom. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Corwin. 


Kuhlthau, C. (2013). Information search process. Retrieved from http://comminfo.rutgers.edu/~kuhlthau/information_search_process.htm


Moallem (2007-2008). A guidelines for developing instructional materials considering different learning styles. Journal of Research on Technology in Education. Retrieved from Eduscapes.com.


Museums, Libraries & Archives Council. Learning styles activity. Retrieved from Eduscapes.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment