Monday, February 16, 2015

Personal Information Inquiry Entry 7


Step 4 Learning Theories, Styles and Preferences Reflection

Using the "Learning Styles Activity" questionnaire designed by the Museums, Libraries & Archives Council, I tested my learning styles and preferences. I was not surprised to learn that my three highest categories were Interpersonal, Linguistic and Mathematical/Logical styles. I do prefer to work with and learn from others, one of the reasons that I enjoy my work as a youth services coordinator. In the document, it is pointed out that people's preferences and styles can change. I found this to be true as well. Experience and age have helped me to develop an intuitive linguistic learning style which I don't think was a strength for me when I was younger. And I most definitely prefer using logic and order to organizing my thoughts. My husband agreed and whispered something about being anal. 
My learning styles are both reflected and hindered in my approach to this inquiry. As a linguistic learner, blog writing is supported, therapeutic even. I can use words to convey my meaning and describe my feelings. The mathematical/logical side of me finds organizing my thoughts in sections or blog entries a useful way to move through the information gathering and evaluating processes. Writing chronologically works for me in a personal journal, but for a project-based experience I had to take a different approach. I wrote the first entry, then set up drafts for each of the following seven entries. Then, I went back to each entry as I was working to record more information or thoughts. 
The interpersonal learning style was hindered by this approach because of the lack of immediate feedback. If I had more time to work on the project, I would have talked with friends and colleagues who have experience with international travelling. Also, I would have sought out and discussed options with a local travel agent. As Mollem described in "A Guideline for Developing Instructional Materials Considering Different Learning Styles", I would prefer processing information as an Active Learner. A team environment, collaboration and group discussions are all ways that an active learner prefers working on projects.



References cited on Entry 8. 

No comments:

Post a Comment