Monday, February 16, 2015

Personal Information Inquiry Entry 4

Analyzing

Jukes described Analyzing as looking at the information gathered and determining its relevancy and whether or not it answers the questions.

What I have found is that there is, of course, too much information available online so I narrowed my focus to sites that I knew have a good reputation. For example, from working in a library, I know that Fodor's Travel Guides are reputable so I found the Fodor's website. Like the Rick Steves' site, Fodor's includes an overview, tips for travelers, restaurant and hotel suggestions, and other things to do.


At this stage, I began to experience Kuhlthau's "Formulation" stage. Formulation is characterized as "the turning point of the ISP, when feelings of uncertainty diminish and confidence increases." I feel like now I have a definite direction to my inquiry. I am also experiencing "Collection" stage. "The person, with a clearer sense of direction, can specify the need for pertinent, focused information to intermediaries and to systems, thereby facilitating a comprehensive search of available resources.  Feelings of confidence continue to increase as uncertainty subsides, with interest in the project deepening."


References cited on Entry 8. 

No comments:

Post a Comment