Monday, October 31, 2011

The Invention of Hugo Cabret

I must admit that when I first picked up The Invention of Hugo Cabret, I was a little concerned about a children's chapter book that weighed in at 533 pages. But I was intrigued by the 284 pages of artwork, and so I entered the world of Brian Selznick's picture book turned graphic novel. The story is about an orphaned French boy named Hugo Cabret who lives in the walls of a busy Paris train station. He is very good at fixing mechanical items, particularly toys and clocks. When his secret life collides with a grumpy toy booth owner and a book loving girl, Hugo's desire to solve the mystery of a mechanical man and a hidden message from his father are in jeopardy. This tender story is an intriguing mixture of mystery, art and history.

No comments:

Post a Comment